Following an hours-long standoff, a suspect was killed Thursday afternoon in a gunfire exchange with officers in response to the suspect’s attempt to breach the Cincinnati FBI field office building at around 9 a.m. Ohio State Highway Patrol Lt. Nathan Dennis said in a news briefing Thursday evening that the suspect ended the standoff by firing at officers; officers returned fire and the suspect died on the scene. No officers were injured in the confrontation. The suspect’s identity has not been confirmed.
Ohio Highway Patrol troopers and local law enforcement agents responded to the alleged breach attempt Thursday morning at the FBI field office, with the suspect allegedly attempting to break in through the visitor screening center. The FBI said the individual fled following an immediate response from special agents, prompting law enforcement to shut down roughly a one-mile stretch of a nearby highway and issue a lockdown warning for residents and businesses in the surrounding area.
Authorities did not give any indication of a possible motive for the breach, and said the incident is still under investigation. The incident came one day after FBI Director Christoper Wray delivered a warning about violent threats circulating online in the aftermath of this week’s FBI search at former President Donald Trump’s Florida residence, Mar-a-Lago.
On Thursday, U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said the Justice Department has filed a legal motion in the southern district of Florida to unseal the warrant and FBI property receipt in the search of former President Donald Trump’s Mar-A-Lago residence. Garland said he personally approved the search warrant, and that Trump’s counsel was given a copy of the search warrant and FBI property receipt at Mar-A-Lago on Monday during the search. Said the Attorney General: “The Justice Department has filed a motion in the southern district of Florida to unseal a search warrant and property receipt relating to a court approved search the FBI conducted earlier this week. That search was a premises in southern Florida belonging to the former president.”
Garland added: “The department filed a motion to make public the warrant and receipt in light of the former president’s public confirmation of the search, the surrounding circumstances and the substantial public interest in this matter. Faithful adherence to the rule of law is the bedrock principle of the Justice Department and of our democracy. Upholding the rule of law means applying the law evenly without fear or favor. Under my watch, that is precisely what the Justice Department is doing.”
Garland also defended the department from the attacks by Republicans about its credibility and independence: “I will not stand by silently when their integrity is unfairly attacked. The men and women of the FBI and Justice Department are dedicated, patriot public servants. Every day they protect the American people form violent crime, terrorism and other threats to their safety, while safeguarding our civil rights.”
Garland said the search warrant was authorized by a court upon probable cause. The FBI carried out the warrant as part of a court-authorized search related to an investigation into potential mishandling of classified documents that ended up at Mar-a-Lago.
The Vegas Golden Knights announced on Thursday that goaltender Robin Lehner is expected to miss the 2022-23 season after he has hip surgery. A full timeline on Lehner’s recovery is still to be determined, and Vegas did not provide further details on when or how it was determined that Lehner needed surgery.
The 31-year-old Lehner was sidelined multiple times by various ailments last earn, and in April had to have shoulder surgery on an injury suffered in February. Lehner took over as the Golden Knights’ No. 1 goaltender after Marc-Andre Fleury was traded to the Chicago Blackhawks in July 2021. The two had shared the net when Lehner was traded from the Blackhawks in 2020. Later that year, Lehner signed a five-year, $25 million extension with the Golden Knights.
In 44 games in 2021-22, Lehner had a 23-17-2 record with a .907 save percentage and 2.83 goals-against average.
Editorial credit: Paul McKinnon / Shutterstock.com
Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Todd Bowles told reporters that quarterback Tom Brady missed practice Thursday for personal reasons, and will not return to the team until after the Bucs’ second preseason game on Aug. 20 against the Titans. Bowles said was a planned, 11-day absence from the team, and the 45-year-old quarterback’s break from practice was arranged before camp began.
Bowles said after the Bucs concluded two days of controlled scrimmages against the Miami Dolphins: “Tom has been excused today. … He’s going to deal with some personal things. This is something we talked about before training camp started. We allotted this time because he wanted to get in and get chemistry with the guys with two weeks of training camp, knowing he wasn’t going to play the first two (preseason) games.” He added: “It’s something he [Brady] needs to handle. We trust him. We talked about it. It was scheduled way before training camp.”
Bowles downplayed any concern when asked if he has any doubt Brady will play in the regular-season opener on Sept. 11 against the Cowboys: “Obviously, there’s always going to be doubt, but I have a pretty high level of confidence, yes. Per our conversation, I’m not worried.”
Tampa Bay opens the preseason Saturday night against the Dolphins. The Bucs will also travel to Nashville for two days of practice ahead of their game against the Titans. Backup quarterbacks Blaine Gabbert, Kyle Trask and Ryan Griffin will share snaps during Brady’s absence.
Editorial credit: Steve Jacobson / Shutterstock.com
Kane Brown will be making history as the first male country artist to perform at the MTV Video Music Awards ceremony. Brown will headline the “VMAs” Toyota Stage with the television debut of his new pop single “Grand” off his upcoming album “Different Man”, set to drop on Sept. 9.
Additional performers at this year’s VMA’s include Anitta, J Balvin, Marshmello x Khalid and Panic! At The Disco. Nicki Minaj will also perform live for the first time since 2018, and is set to receive the Video Vanguard Award.
Leading the list of VMA nominees are Jack Harlow, Kendrick Lamar, Lil Nas X, Doja Cat, Harry Styles, Billie Eilish, Drake, Dua Lipa, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and The Weeknd. Fans can vote for their favorite artists at vote.mtv.com through Friday, Aug. 19.
The VMAs will air 8 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 28., on MTV.
The 15th Annual Academy of Country Music Honors (ACM Honors) announced on Instagram that it will make its debut on FOX this fall, airing on Tuesday, September 13th. The two-hour special marks ‘country music’s favorite night’ return to television, and is set to take place on Wednesday, August 24, at Nashville’s historic Ryman Auditorium.
ACM Honors will recognize several special artists including ACM Triple Crown Award recipient Miranda Lambert, ACM Spirit Award recipient Chris Stapleton, ACM Poet’s Award recipient Shania Twain, ACM Milestone Award recipient Morgan Wallen and ACM Film Award recipient “Yellowstone.” Carly Pearce, the reigning ACM Female Artist of the Year and a four-time ACM Awards winner will host the ceremony for the second consecutive year. Pearce is also slated to take the stage to perform.
Other performers and presenters include Kelsea Ballerini, Dierks Bentley, The Warren Brothers, Brooks & Dunn, Dan + Shay, Jordan Davis, ERNEST, Jesse Frasure, Vince Gill, Ashley Gorley, Mickey Guyton, HARDY, Wynonna Judd, Avril Lavigne, Little Big Town, Morgan Wallen, Lainey Wilson and more.
The full line-up of artists will be released in the coming weeks. Tickets for the ACM HONORS are currently on sale to the general public at AXS.
Elisabeth Moss will star in a new series from FX titled The Veil, a limited series thriller for Hulu. Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight will write the show and executive produce along with Moss, Denise Di Novi, Nina Tassler and Lindsey McManus.
The Veil explores the surprising and fraught relationship between two women who play a deadly game of truth and lies on the road from Istanbul to Paris and London. One woman has a secret, the other a mission to reveal it before thousands of lives are lost.
FX president of original programming Nick Grad said: “We’re excited to continue our partnership with Steven Knight on The Veil and thrilled to have Elisabeth Moss sign on for the lead role. Steven’s scripts are riveting and no doubt will showcase Elisabeth’s exceptional talent.”
Knight said in a statement: “I’m absolutely thrilled to be telling this story, which is truly international and very contemporary. We have gathered together some of the most talented people in the business … I think this will be a landmark television event.”
Eva Longoria is set to star in a new dramedy series at Apple TV+ titled Land of Women. Deadline reports that the 47-year-old Longoria will also serve as executive producer on the series.
Land of Women, based on the Sandra Barneda novel of the same name, will also co-star Spanish actress Carmen Maura. The new series follows Gala (Longoria), a woman forced to flee New York with her aging mother Julia (Maura) and her college-age daughter after her husband implicates the family in financial crimes. The trio move to the same charming wine town in Northern Spain that Gala’s mother fled from 50 years ago.
The show will mark Longoria’s first series regular role since the NBC comedy Telenovela.
On Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Justice charged an Iranian military operative with plotting to assassinate former President Donald Trump’s national security advisor, John Bolton. Bolton, who served as Trump’s third national security advisor for 17 months before resigning, was the main architect of the administration’s “maximum pressure” campaign against Iran.
According to court documents, 45-year-old Shahram Poursafi of Tehran, Iran attempted to arrange the killing of Bolton in retaliation for the January 2020 U.S. airstrike that killed Iran’s top commander, Gen. Qasem Soleimani, who led a special forces unit of Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard. Soleimani had been a key figure in Iranian and Middle East politics and his death exacerbated tension between Iran and the United States
Poursafi, a member of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, attempted to pay individuals in the United States in October 2021 a reward of $300,000 to carry out the plot in either Washington, D.C., or Maryland. Poursafi, also known as Mehdi Rezayi, was charged with the use of interstate commerce facilities in the commission of murder for hire and with providing and attempting to provide material support to a transnational murder plot. If convicted, he faces up to 10 years imprisonment and a fine of up to $250,000 for the use of interstate commerce facilities in the commission of murder for hire. Additionally, he faces up to 15 years imprisonment and a fine of up to $250,000 for providing and attempting to provide material support to a transnational murder plot. Poursafi remains at large abroad.
In a statement, Bolton thanked the Justice Department, FBI and the Secret Service: “While much cannot be said publicly right now, one point is indisputable: Iran’s rulers are liars, terrorists, and enemies of the United States. Their radical, anti-American objectives are unchanged; their commitments are worthless and their global threat is growing.”
Three people were killed Wednesday when a house exploded in the southern Indiana city of Evansville. The cause of the explosion has not been determined, but the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was investigating.
Evansville Fire Department Chief Mike Connelly said a total of 39 houses were damaged by the explosion at around 1 p.m, adding that the department has not confirmed how many of the houses were occupied when the explosion happened because “some were too unstable to enter. Debris is strewn over a 100-foot (30-meter) radius” including “typical construction materials such as wooden boards, window glass and insulation.”
Fire Chief Connelly said that CenterPoint Energy, the local gas utility, was last called to the home in January 2018. CenterPoint issued a statement saying: “CenterPoint Energy is working closely with the Evansville Fire Department, State Fire Marshal and other agencies as the investigation of this incident continues.” It was the second house explosion in the area in just over five years. A house explosion on June 27, 2017, killed two people and injured three others.