During an interview this week with Angela Yee, singer August Alsina addressed the rumors he once dated Jada Pinkett Smith and claimed Will Smith gave him permission to have a sexual relationship with his wife. But according to Jada’s reps, Alsina’s story is “absolutely not true.”
Alsina told Yee with 100 percent conviction an open and honest conversation took place between the blockbuster movie star and him. “I love those people literally like my family,” Alsina said. “I actually sat down with Will and had a conversation due to the transformation from their marriage to life partnership that they’ve spoken on several times and it not involving romanticism. He gave me his blessing and I totally gave myself to that relationship for years of my life. And I truly am really, really deeply loved and have a ton of love for her. I devoted myself to it. I gave my full self to it – so much so to the point that I can die right now and be OK with knowing that I truly gave myself to somebody.”
Alsina sang about a love affair with an actress on the song “Nunya” in 2019. The single art featured a text from a woman named Koren, which is Pinkett Smith’s middle name, but he denied the song was about her.
The Smiths have not publicly addressed the allegations.
Netflix is set to produce a six-episode series on Colin Kaepernick called ‘Colin in Black & White.’ Kaepernick will narrate the scripted limited drama, which comes from director Ava DuVernay. Colin in Black & White is DuVernay’s latest project with Netflix following her acclaimed limited series, ‘When They See Us.’
Netflix says Kaepernick’s series will focus on his adolescent years while growing up with a white adopted family. It will also portray his high school life and events that led him to advocate for social justice. An actor will play a younger version of the now 32-year-old Kaepernick.
Kaepernick has remained unsigned in the NFL since 2017, soon after he began kneeling during the National Anthem.
New charges have been filed against an Idaho woman after the remains of two of her children were found months after they disappeared. Lori Vallow was charged with two felony counts of conspiracy to destroy, alter or conceal evidence, according to court documents.
Human remains were found on the property of Vallow’s fifth husband, Chad Daybell, and were identified as those of Tylee Ryan, 17, and Joshua “JJ” Vallow, 7. The children were reported missing in September. Authorities have not said how the children died, and Daybell and Vallow have not been charged in their deaths.
A search for the siblings began in November; Vallow and Daybell refused to cooperate and left the state. They were found the following month in Hawaii, and Vallow was arrested and extradited to Idaho. Vallow is also being investigated in the death of Daybell’s former wife, Tammy Daybell, who was found dead in her home in October. Chad Daybell and Vallow married weeks after Tammy Daybell’s death.
Vallow was initially jailed on charges of desertion and nonsupport of dependent children. Her bond remains at $1 million. The next hearing is scheduled for Aug. 10.
The U.S. Senate unanimously voted on Tuesday to extend a $660 billion lending program in an effort to help small businesses that have been hit hard by the coronavirus. The House of Representatives must also approve the extension, which would keep the Paycheck Protection Program operating through August 8.
The measure passed unanimously in the Senate. Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell told lawmakers that a full economic recovery is unlikely until people feel safer going out. Congress has signed off on roughly $3 trillion in aid so far, but Powell and other policymakers have said more will be needed.
The Treasury Department and the Small Business Administration have handed out $515 billion since April to help companies make rent and keep workers employed.
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said on Tuesday that spread of the coronavirus would prompt the NBA to stop the 2019-20 season. Silver said the league is “reasonably confident” about its plan to restart the season in Orlando on the Disney World campus in July, but if the virus spreads, the league will have no choice but to pull the plug.
Silver said, “Never full steam ahead no matter what. One thing we are learning about this virus as much is (it’s) unpredictable, and we and our players together with their union look at the data on a daily basis. If there were something to change that was outside of the scope of what we are playing for, certainly we would revisit our plans. We are testing daily. We haven’t put a precise number on it but if we were to see a large number of cases and see spread in our community, that would of course be a cause to stop as well.”
The NBA is working closely with medical experts and plans to modify guidance and recommendations based on all available information. Dr. Anthony Fauci said in testimony that he has become more concerned with the surge in COVID-19 cases in Florida, Texas, California and Arizona. Silver said. “Certainly if cases are isolated, that’s one thing. A lot of the determination will be our understanding of how our community became infected. That will be part of our judgment in terms of whether we should continue. But certainly if we had a lot of cases, we are going to stop. You cannot run from this virus.”
On Tuesday, Minor League Baseball officially cancelled its 2020 season. While the cancellation was widely expected, it leaves thousands of pro baseball players without a team to play for this year. Some top prospects have been placed on the 60-man rosters for various major league teams as they prepare to begin training camps.
“These are unprecedented times for our country and our organization as this is the first time in our history that we’ve had a summer without minor league baseball played,” said Pat O’Conner president of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues, which oversees the minors.
“While this is a sad day for many, this announcement removes the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season and allows our teams to begin planning for an exciting 2021 season of affordable family entertainment.”
Legendary stand-up comedian, actor, director, producer and writer Carl Reiner has died at 98. Reiner’s assistant Judy Nagy confirmed the news to Variety. Reiner died on Monday night at his home in Beverly Hills from natural causes.
Born and raised in New York, Reiner was best known for creating and starring in The Dick Van Dyke Show. He got his start acting in Broadway musicals, and his big break came in 1950 when he was cast in Your Show of Shows appearing in comedy skits, working alongside writers Mel Brooks and Neil Simon. Reiner and Brooks worked so well together that they partnered up as a comedy duo on The Steve Allen Show which gained so much popularity that their routine expanded into a series of five comedy albums and an animated TV special.
Reiner married singer Estelle Lebost in 1943, and they were married for 64 years until her death. The couple had three children: [director] Rob, Lucas, and Annie.
Reiner was still acting on the big and small screen up until recently, and was active on social media as one of the oldest celebrities to have a Twitter account.Reiner last tweeted, “Nothing pleases me more than knowing that I have lived the best life possible by having met & marrying the gifted Estelle (Stella) Lebost—who partnered with me in bringing Rob, Annie & Lucas Reiner into to this needy & evolving world.”
Netflix announced Tuesday that Ozark will return for a fourth and final season that will be split into two parts, consisting of seven episodes each.
Showrunner and executive producer Chris Mundy said in a statement, “We’re so happy Netflix recognized the importance of giving Ozark more time to end the Byrdes’ saga right. It’s been such a great adventure for all of us — both on screen and off — so we’re thrilled to get the chance to bring it home in the most fulfilling way possible.”
The announcement was accompanied by a teaser clip. “A super sized season means super sized problems for the Byrdes,” series star Jason Bateman added. “I’m excited to end with a bang(s).”
A premiere date for Season 4 of Ozark has not been revealed as of press time.
A former police officer confessed on Monday to being the serial killer known as the “Golden State Killer.” 74-year-old Joseph James DeAngelo Jr. pleaded guilty to 13 murders and admitting to dozens of rapes and break-ins that terrorized California during the 1970s and ‘80s.
DeAngelo entered the pleas as part of a deal with prosecutors, sparing him from the death penalty in return for his admission to all of the offenses he is accused of – both those he is charged with, as well as uncharged – in 11 California counties. The plea agreement was approved by Superior Court Judge Michael Bowman at Monday’s hearing. DeAngelo faces life in prison without the possibility of parole rather than a potential death sentence.
Prosecutors said the deal ensured that both survivors and victims’ relatives were able to live to see the case resolved, sparing them further legal proceedings that could have potentially dragged on for 10 years or longer. The hearing was held in a Sacramento university ballroom, rather than a courthouse, to allow for socially distancing.
DeAngelo sat in a wheelchair throughout the seven-hour proceeding, speaking only to give yes and no answers to procedural questions from the judge, and later to answer “guilty” when Bowman asked his plea to each of 13 counts of first-degree murder and kidnapping. He also replied “I admit” to dozens of allegations of rape, robbery, and other crimes. His admissions encompassed a total of 161 uncharged crimes.
The “Golden State Killer” crime spree spanned between 1975 to 1986, and began while DeAngelo was still a police officer. DeAngelo’s arrest in 2018 came after more than 40 years of investigations. Authorities were finally able to solve the case due to DNA evidence and data from commercial genealogy websites.
On Monday, Google said that it had removed search ads that charged users searching for voting information large fees for voter registration or harvested their personal data. A Google spokeswoman said that the company’s misrepresentation policy barred such ads when searching for terms such as “register to vote,” “vote by mail,” and “where is my polling place.”
Tech Transparency Project said in a report on Monday that nearly a third of the more than 600 ads generated by its Google searches took users to sites that try to charge large fees for voter registration services, extract personal data for marketing purposes, install deceptive browser extensions, or serve other misleading ads. U.S. voters do not need to pay to register to vote.
Social media companies and online platforms, including Facebook and Twitter are under pressure to curb misinformation on their sites in the months leading up to the U.S. presidential election in November.